Diana the Valkyrie's Peek-a-boo
A hard man is good to beat
Peek-a-boo, I can't see you, isn't it nice to hide?
Maybe you want to access a web site without that site knowing which URL you're coming from.
For example, if you have an account with Demon, then any web site that you visit, gets told
your server name, and that includes your Demon account name, which means they can send you
email whether you give them your address or not!
Or maybe you're subscribed to an ISP where some officious official has decided that some
web servers are too naughty for its customers to look at, and the thought of arguing with
that official leaves you unkeen.
Either way, here's some ways round the problem of A) people knowing who's surfing their web sites,
and B) officious officials practicing censorship.
Anonymizer and Safeweb
Safeweb is a free service which hides your IP address.
Anonymizer is another free service which hides your IP address.
You can use the AltaVista translator to hide your IP address. Here's how it works:
- First get the URL of the page your trying to access
- Then goto the translation page at AltaVista by clicking here
- Then enter the complete URL (including the "http://") in the translation text area.
- Set the translation mode to "French to English." This way the page will remain in English, so you can read it.
- Click on "translate"!
Make a new ISP Account
Simply set up an acount with one of the free internet service providers.
Use a Proxy server
- First decide which proxy server you're going to use. You can find one
on the Hypermart web site
- Then, if you have Netscape,
open up Netscape. Click on Edit on the top bar, then select preferences. Double
click on advanced, then proxies. Now check the box for "manual proxy", then
click on "configure" or "view".
- Now fill in the info of the proxy server and
its port. Note: it is important for you to fill in both
the HTTP section and the Security section. This will ensure that you can goto secure order
- For most people, this should be enough. But you might want the site you're browsing not to
know you're using a proxy.
- After you have configured your proxy server settings in step 2, goto
and look to see whether it says "Proxy server detected."